Monday, April 1, 2013

Clarins UV Plus HP SPF40 Day Screen

After L'Occitane Immortelle Brightening Shield SPF40 PA+++, I moved on to testing this 3mL/0.1fl oz. sample of Clarins UV Plus HP SPF40 Day Screen. According to Clarins, this is a 100% physical sunblock lotion with active ingredients of 8.1% Titanium Dioxide. It's actually not my first time using this particular product - I had used up a few bottles of its former carnation aka the UV Plus Protective Day Screen SPF40 about 7-8 years ago.

I have to say, this product has come a long way since and it now feels significantly different than its old self, and for the better too! While it's still a milk, it's no longer runny and is slightly thicker and, as far as I can tell, requires no shaking. Again, for each application I applied about 1mL's worth, a third of the sample tube. At this amount, it took 10 minutes or so to dry completely. Once absorped, I got a comfortable and completely matte finish that left no visible white cast. I have no doubt it would make an awesome makeup base. What's more, it felt much more substantive than the previous version and seemed to have some oil control function as my t-zone did not get oily after a few hours. Thinking back to the old version that turned me greasy, this is a huge improvement! In other words, this day screen now looks and feels no different than my favorite Japanese sunscreens! Shall I remind you again it's supposedly 100% physical sunblock? It's quite an impressive feat for a physical sunblock to be so elegant!

That's not to say this product is perfect. For one, neither the packaging or its online product page makes any mentioning of the "PA", which usually translate to low PPD rating and poor UVA protection. However, given the old version had an estimated PPD8, I'm guessing the newer version should also be in the neighborhood, which actually translates to a PA+++ according to the revised Japanese industry standard. Not too shabby, only this is a mere guess, because I don't have and haven't found anything to back it up. This means the product is exactly what it says it is - a lightweight day screen, for when you're out and about running errands and not heavy duty protection by any means.

Secondly, it had alcohol in it, and while this didn't bother me at all, it may bother others. I don't know much about physical sunblocks and haven't really explored their market, but I would think there's a reason why certain people opt for a physical sunblock instead of a chemical sunscreen. Thirdly, I don't remember whether the old version was scented, this new one certainly was. Normally, I'm quite tolerant when it comes to scented products, but I think this one stank. Worse, the smell reminded me of Scrubbing Bubbles, as in the bathroom cleaner. Urgh. Lastly, I have read reviews of it clogging pores and breaking people out, although I think this has more to do with it not being removed properly. Yes, it's a physical sunscreen that supposedly doesn't require a special cleanser for complete removal, but since it felt rather substantive on my skin I used, and would recommend you using, an oil cleanser to remove it anyway.

Over all, for a physical sunblock lotion, its elegant matte finish is impressive and I'm sure some people would appreciate it as a makeup base. However, I still think it has more cons than pros, being ill-scented, containing alcohol, having a lower SPF and unstated PA, and may require a separate cleanser for some people even though it says it doesn't. Also, a 50mL bottle goes for $40, and at that size and price my Japanese sunscreens are still superior, as chemical as they may be. If you can get a sample of this then by all means try it. However, if your skin can tolerate a chemical sunscreen, why would you settle for less while paying more?

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts