Monday, June 3, 2013

Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector SPF42 PA+++

Been using this Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector SPF42 PA+++ (now simply Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector SPF42) at home while working by my huge windows. This 7mL bottle was a bonus freebie when I bought The Skincare Hydro-Balancing Softener.

I wasn't too thrilled with this, to be honest. Not only it has a lower SPF, having gotten my skin deep fried by the super drying Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF55 PA+++ (now simply Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF50+) I didn't expect any better from this one. From what I've read, Shiseido sunscreens, even the Japan exclusive ones (Anessa, etc.), tend to be more drying than other brands', not sure why. I guess the selling point here is that it's oil free. The problem is that I actually need the oil for my skin because it's very dry, so the oil-free is not a plus for me in this case.

This is a milk that's not as runny and is slightly thicker than I remember the Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion was, with emphasis on memory :) I actually haven't used the Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion for years so it may very well changed. The scent is the same as I remember though, a tad stronger even. The Shiseido's page doesn't really say whether this sunscreen is chemical or physical, so I'm guessing it's chemical, just like the Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion. The difference is that this has mineral powder in it, I guess along the lines of Mentholatum Skin Aqua UV Sara Sara Milk SPF50+ PA+++?

For a chemical sunscreen, it takes a while to absorb, probably twice as long as my other Japanese sunscreens. Of course this is still much faster than the 2 other sunscreens I've tried from Clarins (UV Plus HP SPF40 Day Screen) and L'Occitane (Immortelle Brightening Shield SPF40 PA+++), but given the latter two are physical sunscreens I'd cut them some slack ^.^ After absorption, I get a nice dewy matte finish with no white cast. Too bad this dewy matte finish breaks down into an oily sheen after just a couple of hours, which probably means it was drying out my skin, and hence the over oil production to compensate.

Given this sunscreen is $30 for a 30mL bottle, I'd say go straight for the Japanese sunscreens, which is the same price for twice as much, with much better protection and much more elegant finish that lasts all day. Sorry to say, but this one doesn't come close to even compare.

No comments:

Related posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Popular Posts